HAI Startup Series
About once per month, HAI will host a one hour event that brings together Stanford-affiliated startups and a committee of AI experts. Each event will feature introductions, presentations by two or three companies, and deep conversation among the founders and committee.
Introducing the HAI Startup Series
The HAI Startup Series is a monthly forum for Stanford-affiliated early-stage companies to gain mentorship, exposure, and feedback from leading figures in the venture, business, and academic worlds. The program aims to accelerate the commercialization and impact of AI research in Stanford’s community across and beyond campus.
Carving Out a New Niche in Stanford’s Startup Ecosystem
The HAI Startup Series will join Stanford’s rich entrepreneurial ecosystem as yet another pathway for early-stage companies to accelerate their growth; companies are able to pursue alongside existing programs such as Lean Launchpad and Startup Garage. This series is unique in its deep focus on artificial intelligence, diverse cohorts (students and alumni from across Stanford), and mix of expertise spanning industry, venture, and academia.
Total time: One hour
- Each event begins with brief introductions (10 min)
- The teams then give short presentations about their company and highlight the primary areas where they would appreciate input (10 min each team)
- The rest of the time is reserved for unstructured conversation (20-30 min)
As the HAI Startup Series grows and scales, we will increasingly focus on community building around cohorts of participants.
Meet the Committee
Full details on the committee will be released soon, including both Stanford faculty and guests from our investor community. Confirmed Stanford faculty include:
- Access “no strings attached” mentorship and guidance from academic and industry leaders in AI, as well as some of the world's most successful VCs.
- Join a community of HAI Series participants with access to mixer events and opportunities to join relevant HAI programming
Who is eligible?
- Community: Your founding team must include at least one current or recent (last 5 years) affiliate of the Stanford community, whether a student, faculty member, post-doctoral researcher, alumnus, etc.
- Product: The company must focus on artificial intelligence in some core way. The main product should be AI-focused, AI-enabled, or contribute to the AI ecosystem and stack ( data, compute, etc.)
- Stage: Companies that are Series A or earlier may participate.
The inaugural HAI Startup Series event will take place on October 21, 2022.
Applications to the first cohort (Fall 2022) will open in mid-to-late September.
For our inaugural session, please submit applications by October 7, 2022.
At the beginning of each quarter, HAI will publish a calendar of events and open an application form (see above) for the three series events to be held that academic term. The application window will remain open for two weeks; participants (2-3 teams per event) will be notified of their application status a week after the submission window closes.
Applications are reviewed by the HAI Partnerships Team and HAI Startup Series Committee. They are evaluated on four primary dimensions:
- Basic eligibility: Whether the company meets the criteria described above
- Quality: The quality of the submitted application materials, including evidence of business or technical traction (revenue, patents, published papers, pitch competition wins, etc.)
- Innovation: The novelty of the technology, application, or business model
- Relevance: The relevance of AI to their ideas and business model